Pets and fireworks
Why are pets scared of fireworks?
Many animals find fireworks scary. It's estimated that 45 percent of dogs in the UK show signs of fear when they hear fireworks. It doesn't have to be that way though, so don't ignore the problem. There are lots of simple things you can do to help your pet deal with fireworks. By preparing in advance before fireworks start your pet will be better able to cope with the noises.
How to calm dogs during fireworks
- Walk them during daylight hours to avoid times when fireworks are likely to be set off
- Close windows and curtains to muffle the sound of fireworks
- Put on some music or tv to mask the firework sounds
- Create a quiet space where your dog can feel in control
- Create some hiding places around your home
Build a dog safe den
Watch our top tips on keeping your pets safe and happy this fireworks season in our short three minute video. The video even includes how to build a 'Doggy Safe Den' !